This delicious, gluten free Cassava Flatbread is easy to make--and even easier to eat! Top with grilled veggies or enjoy plain.
- 1 cup Cassava Flour
- 1/2 tsp Cream of Tartar
- 1/4 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 2 Tbsp solid Coconut Oil
- 1/2-3/4 cup Warm Water
- Whisk together all dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Add fat and rub into the flour with your hands until crumbly and the texture of cornmeal.
- Add warm water and thoroughly mix with a spoon until the dough feels well hydrated.
- Let sit for 10 minutes while the flour hydrates and absorbs the liquid. The dough should be firm and springy; add more water and let sit again if necessary.
- Meanwhile, preheat a skillet over medium heat.
- Portion and roll dough into balls, about 2 tablespoons for small flatbread or 1/4 cup for large. Use a tortilla press lined with waxed or parchment paper to form flatbread, or roll flatbread between two pieces of waxed or parchment paper to desired thickness.
- Place flatbread in the hot skillet one at a time and cook until lightly browned, about 2-3 minutes on each side.
- Use immediately or, once cooled, wrap securely in plastic to store.